Monday, October 13, 2008

Grüetzi!

There are three things that first come to my mind, when I think of Switzerland: cheese fondue, the alps and bircher müsli. Mountains I can see from my window, cheese fondue I miss and bircher müsli cannot be avoided while living on a 30 km distance of the Swiss boarder. It is such a great snack, lunch, evening meal or breakfast. Grocery shops are full of different müsli mixes and it still takes me at least thirty minutes in front of the yoghurt section to figure out which flavour to buy - especially when I go to the swiss super market Migros!
Here's how I learned to make a bowl of bircher from my dear swiss class mates.

Bircher Müsli (serves one)

5 tablespoons rolled oats or müsli

150 ml milk (or apple juice)
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 small apple
berries, fresh or dried fruits of your choice
1 tablespoon raisins and/or nuts
5 tablespoons plain yoghurt
1 tablespoon honey


Mix milk (or apple juice) with the rolled oats in a bowl and soak over night.
In the morning grate the apple and add to the mixture as well as lemon juice, fruits or berries (or both!), raisins, nuts and yoghurt. Mix well and bring sweetness with the honey.
If the consistency is too dry or stiff to your taste, feel free to add more milk or yoghurt.
Serve with a nice cup of milk coffee!





No comments: